China blocks Pentagon official’s visit to Beijing over arms sales to Taiwan

Beijing is increasing pressure on US President Donald Trump over a massive $14 billion arms package for Taiwan. And due to this dispute, the Xi Jinping administration has blocked the proposed visit to China by the US Department of Defense or Pentagon's top official Elbridge Colby.
The British newspaper Financial Times (FT) reported this information on Thursday (May 21).The report, citing relevant sources, said that Pentagon Under-Secretary of Defense for Policy Elbridge Colby had discussed a visit to Beijing next summer with Chinese officials. However, China has made it clear that they cannot approve the visit until it is certain what President Trump is finalizing on the arms package.However, Reuters could not immediately verify the Financial Times report. The Pentagon and China's Foreign Ministry also declined to comment on the matter as it was outside office hours.Meanwhile, after concluding his visit to Beijing last week, Donald Trump told reporters that he had not yet decided whether to proceed with the massive arms sale to Taiwan. Trump's comments have raised uncertainty about the future of US support for the self-governing and democratic island nation.In the meantime, Trump also told reporters on Wednesday that he would speak directly with Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te. This is an unprecedented step for a US leader, which could further heat up Washington's relations with Beijing. However, a source told Reuters that the timing of the two leaders' phone call has not yet been finalized.Normally, any direct contact or phone call between the United States and Taiwan angers China. Because Beijing considers Taiwan an integral part of itself.However, US administration officials reminded that Trump approved the largest arms sale to Taiwan during his previous term than any other US president. However, at the same time, Trump has always described his relationship with Chinese President Xi Jinping as "extraordinary."According to US law, Washington is obliged to provide Taiwan with the military assistance it needs to defend itself. And that is why US lawmakers from both Republican and Democratic parties have been urging the Trump administration to keep the arms sale process going.Meanwhile, in the midst of the emerging situation, Taiwan's Defense Minister Wellington Ku said in a statement on Tuesday that they still maintain "cautious optimism" about receiving weapons from the United States.China Taiwan Pentagon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *